NOTICE: OUR BLOG HAS MOVED TO http://arizonascorpionchess.com/

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Week 3 Predictions by FM Robby Adamson

Now that the US Chess League is in full swing, I am going to give my predictions for the matches. This should be an interesting exercise. Without further ado, here are my Week 3 predictions (unfortunately I am too late for Monday ones):

New York Knights vs Philadelphia Inventors

NY Knights are a talented team, way too talented to start the season 0-3. They will find a way to win their first match. NY wins 2.5-1.5.

Carolina Cobras vs Baltimore Kingfishers

Both teams need a win here. I give an extremely slight edge to Baltimore here, but it wont be enough. I see a tie here, 2-2.

Chicago Blaze vs Tennessee Tempo

GM Mitkov makes his debut for Chicago. This will be closer than most people think. I give Chicago a small edge here, by 2.5-1.5 margin, though it will not surprise me if Tennessee ties or even pulls the upset.

Queens Pioneers vs Arizona Scorpions

I am not picking against my beloved team. AZ plays a solid match and wins in a squeaker, 2.5-1.5. Go Scorpions!

Seattle Sluggers vs New Jersey Knockouts

The best match of the night! I have gone back and forth on this one in my mind. Nakamura should win, especially with the white pieces. However, Joel is a tough cookie and Naka did not fare well in the USCL last year. I expect Naka will come in with a renewed attitude for his new team. Gulko, a sick 2nd board, should win on 2nd board and so it comes down to board 3 and 4. I gotta go with Mackenzie Molner having a small edge on board 3, with a tossup on 4th, and therefore I will pick NJ 2.5-1.5.

Root us on, this time from Mesa!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont count out Nakamura. Seattle will pull the upset!

Svetlana Matveeva said...

Gulko will crush and own on 2nd board. Match tied, 2-2.

Ilya said...

I think NJ will win on 2,3 and 4. (at least 2.5 pts there) Jersey wins 3-1. Seattle prob will miss playoffs again this year.

s higgins said...

I also predict a win for AZ tonight, with Leo getting the job done cleanly on board 4, Rensch pulling through against the tough and talented Parker Zhao, and 1 point out of 2 from our top boards.

The NJ-SEA match is going to be intense! Naka-Benjamin will be a great game and I'm gonna pick Joel to get the draw here after a bloody battle, while Gulko has to be the strongest board 2 in the USCL so far. I'll definitely take Molner to win on board 3 and I'm giving Seattle the win on board 4; Sinanan knows his team needs him to win so he will be going for the kill against his closely-rated opponent. NJ 2.5 - SEA 1.5